MY BLOG PAGES

Monday, 18 July 2011

WHERE IS OUR SUMMER ???

The weather right now is so changeable - last saturday we had sun, then mega rain then thunder, sunday was still miserable but then blasting sun in the late afternoon - today was also a mixed bag.

Where is our summer ???

Im getting rather fed up of longing for the sun that im desperate to get away on our holidays now - not long to go as only 16 days to go !

So in order to cheer myself up and think of the sun, sea and pina coladas that i will be experiencing i created a card that depicts everything typical for me about the summer.

Im entering it into a summer card making competition tomorrow too so fingers crossed.



Its a stepper easel card and this is how i made it :-
I folded an A4 sheet of white card in half then on the top part folded it in half again to make the easel base. 
I then cut anothe A4 piece of card in half and folded it into thirds. The bottom third i attached to the inside of the stand up easel part to form the stepper part in front of the easel. The other half of the A4 card was then attached to the easel base to make the main part of the card.



I printed the penguin topper and matted and layered it onto yellow and blue bling card. Next i took an A4 sheet of glossy card stock and covered it in alcohol inks - clover and sail boat blue. Once i got the right coverage i sprayed it with lime green cosmic shimmer mister spray. once that was all dry i then cut it into 4s and using a cuttlebug embossing folder i ran each one through my big shot machine. once embossed i then used an archival ink pad lightly all over the top to pick up the embossing.
Next i attached pale blue glitter card across the middle of the stand up easel like a belt across the middle. I then edged the whole top area in pinflair flexi bend peel offs.
The matted topper was then added to the RHS of the card to leave enough room for the buttons down the LHS. Shell pegs were added for effect on each side of the card.
I took a sun wood shape and coloured it with honey distress ink and then applied versamark ink and embossing powder so its now glossy and sparkly. This was applied to the card using pinflair glue.




Now i cut a strip of rik rak card to cover the front stepper of the card. This was then wrapped in raffia ribbon and tied off in a big knott on the LHS once i added a starfish button charm.


This is now where my good old recycling comes into play. I was in debenhams recently and bought some sets of their yummy holiday scent shower gels. I cut out all the fruit from the front of the packaging and this is what ive applied to the front of the stepper - effective i think !

The inside of the card is covered with de-bossed alcohol inked glossy card stock - as basically i debossed it in the first place instead of embossed it so waste not want not and i knew id have a use for it. I also added more pale blue glitter card then a white piece of card matted in rik rak as a section for the card to be written on. There was a small part of emobssed inked glossy card left over from earlier so i cut it to size and matted and layrered it as the stopper for the easel to be held up by. Added a craft work cards birthday sentiment to the top again increasing the height of the stopper. Shells were then added for effect as you need to use shells on a holiday theme card dont you !!!

So thats it - what do you think ??? im really really pleased with it as it is SO ME and as i said depicts everything about summer for me.

9 comments:

Cathy said...

This is the first step easel card I have seen. Great card. thanks for sharing it.

Canonbury creations said...

Brilliant Gill, I'm expecting to see a photo of you in a similar pose from Cyprus!

Claudia said...

WOW, amazing card, totally love the folding and especially the arranging on it,,, wow totally kool... :)
Claudia W.

Debbie T said...

Gill, love this card, its fantastic and your idea of the fruit is a good one! I might copy your easel card design if you dont mind as I think its fantastic and shows off the images so well, you can really do so much within the card. You have truely out done everyone with this summer card and wish you the best for the competition tomorrow you should get 1st! Good luck - Debbie T :)

LisaG said...

that's great! love the penguin chilling! Good use of the recycled packaging!!

Think I'll have to try and make one of these types of cards too, will follow the instructions and let you know how I get on!

Well done!

Maybe this will bring out the summer weather!

Lisa xxx

Riet said...

What a gorgeous card.

Hugs Riet.xx

Dr Sonia S V said...

WOw what an absolutely fantastic fun card. I love the images and the fancy folds

Cheers from Bangalore ,India
Dr Sonia S V
http://cardsandschoolprojects.blogspot.com

Dr Sonia S V said...

What a fun card. Lovely images and the shells add a nice touch

bea said...

what a fun card - like you our weather is rubbish for summer - I don't think I have had summer clothes on more than a couple of times. mayber we will get a late summer!!!


Search This Blog

Get your own free Blogoversary button!